LVMAC Tidbit: Pennsylvania’s Unknown(?) Educational Gratuity Program for Disabled Veterans’ Children

Published by LVMAC on

Since it is operated by our Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) and not the Department of  Education, you may have never thought to look for an educational program for your children on their website.  Therefore, for those of you rated with a 100% permanent disability from the military or the VA — or  your spouse died in a war, you might want to know about this program.  Every dollar helps to give your children a better life.  We took this from their Transition Assistance News article of May 2018, verbatim:

Educational Gratuity program provides financial assistance to children of honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities and served during a period of war or armed conflict or children of veterans who die or died in service during a period of war or armed conflict.

Veteran’s eligibility criteria:

  • Died in service during a period of war or armed conflict or,
  • A veteran who has:
    – An honorable discharge from the U.S. military
    – Served during established war service dates as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. [The following decorations can also be used to establish wartime service: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or Navy Expeditionary Medal.]
    – Must have a 100% permanent and total service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Child’s eligibility criteria: Must be between the ages of 16 and 23, living within the Commonwealth five years prior to application and must attend a school within the Commonwealth.

Financial criteria:  Applicant must have a financial need.

Payments: Payment will not exceed $500.00 per term or semester per qualified child to each approved educational institution upon submission by that approved educational institution of proof of matriculation of the applicant. Educational gratuity payments are paid directly to the Educational Institution and may not be made for longer than 4 scholastic years.

Contact the County Veterans Affairs Director in the county you reside to apply for this program.


As of 12 April 2018