LVMAC Tidibit — Embassy Seeks Korean War veterans to Honor with the Ambassador for Peace Medal

Published by LVMAC on

Korean Ambassador for Peace MedalIf you served in Korean War, you may be eligible for the Korean Ambassador for Peace Medal. This commemorative medal is an expression of appreciation by the Republic of South Korea to  service members in the Korean War.  It has been sixty years since the signing of the Armistice. Originally, one had to travel to South Korea through the Revisit Program to collect this special special memento.  That is no longer the case.

In the United States finding the eligible veterans has become a pet project for certain legislators throughout our nation.  In our vicinity, Senator Lisa Baker’s 20th PA Senatorial District north of us starting in Luzerne County and spreading north and east and Representative Mark Gillen’s 128th District south of us in Berks and Lancaster counties have taken up the challenge.

However, this does not mean those from the Lehigh Valley need to be overlooked.   At the Lehigh Valley Military Affairs Council meeting in July, Marta Gabriel, Regional Manager of the Lehigh Valley office for Senator Toomey, stated that those interested could apply through her (email:, tel: 610-434-1444).

To be eligible, the veteran must have served by land, air or sea during the Korean Conflict period of June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953 or participated in UN peacekeeping operations until the end of 1955.  Veterans of the U.S. Navy must have served aboard a naval vessel that was assigned to Korean waters during the 1950 to 1953 timeframe, if not in-country.  The medal may also be awarded posthumously through application by a next of kin (a spouse or descendant).

In all instances, a copy of the veteran’s  Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty or a Notice of Separation (A DD Form 214 has been used for both since 1 January 1950.).  The DD 214 need not be certified or notarized, but it should be legible.


As of 21 July 2016